RTK Farming Ltd was founded by a group of four farmers (including Edward Banks) based in South Cambridgeshire who joined together to make a robust and affordable RTK GPS network. Supported by AS Communications UK Ltd it’s principle ideals were to create one of the first RTK networks in the UK that is cost effective and most importantly, does not limit the individual farmer to small areas of coverage; ensuring that as far as is possible every field has reliable coverage the whole time. By autumn 2015, RTK Farming Ltd will have coverage over the whole of East Anglia and Lincolnshire; this is achieved by using a network of Trimble base stations and repeaters. The network has built in redundancy and is never stretched to its maximum limits but has some signal overlap so that neighbouring base stations complement one another. By using a Trimble GPS signal RTK Farming Ltd subscribers are not restricted in their choice of brand of farm machinery as Trimble Auto-Pilot precision farming equipment has been designed to be as universally compatible with as many tractor manufactures as possible.
Why do you need RTK?
- ACCURACY – Using a RTK you gain accuracy of +/- 2cm. This means that that your overlaps can be reduced to 0.33% on all machinery passes (this compares to approximately 4% using manual techniques).
- REPEATABLITY – By upgrading to a RTK network signal you will be guaranteed year on year repeatability. Using standard GPS auto-steer equipment using a global correction signal, vehicles can drift between 0.5 – 1.5m, but with RTK this simply does not exist. As a result a ‘Controlled Traffic Farming’ system can be utilised, minimising soil compaction, improved soil structure and subsequently reducing tillage.
- SAVINGS– With absolute accuracy on all machinery, fuel costs are dramatically reduced as well as a substantial increase in work efficiency. It has been shown that the potential savings would be £19/ha on seeding and fertiliser applications alone (ref: HGCA Research Review 71).
- REDUCED DRIVER FATIGUE– By using a GPS auto-steer system driver fatigue is reduced substantially improving the operation of the equipment.
- INPUT TARGETING – By having RTK GPS systems, variable rate applications can be applied, tailoring the requirements of the growing crops to their needs.
For any enquiries please see our website at: www.rtkfarming.co.uk or contact:
Patrick Walker – firstname.lastname@example.org